Senior Care is NOT Memory Care
A memory care community or facility is designed specifically for the needs of people who have Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias. And, more importantly, it has specially trained staff and medical teams to work with individuals who have dementia. The goal of memory care (at Holland Home, we’re designed and trained to work with both dementia and Alzheimer’s patients) is to provide personalized care that will result in a high quality of life for residents while reducing the symptoms of dementia and Alzheimer’s; aggression, anger, wandering and depression.
Even though the number of people with cognitive impairment is extremely high in our aging population, the number of care facilities that offer this kind of specific care are not.
Holland Home is committed to providing its residents with a high quality of life and taking every measure to ensure their safety. We encourage anyone with a loved one who needs some level of memory or Alzheimer’s care to be sure they understand what they need to know to find the best care possible.
- Care and programming that is geared towards people who have Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias, and can be personalized to suit your aging parent’s needs, preferences, and abilities. Staff conducting programming are trained in memory care.
- Advanced staff training and demonstrated competence in current best practices in dementia care.
- The facility should provide activities for socializing and connection around meals and recreational times, which also can include families and are welcoming for all ages.
- Interior environments that are designed to keep noise at a minimum, reduce confusing visual cues, and are also safe and functional for patients and residents with dementia.
- Welcoming and organizing activities with national organizations focused on educating about dementia, as part of an institutional commitment to professional learning.
- Support groups for families and caregivers.
For more information about how Holland Home checks off every one of these criteria – and more – contact one of our specialists or medical professionals at 616-235-5113.