About Holland Home
In fulfilling God’s calling to serve others, we will:
Serve with love and compassion.
Commit to excellence.
Follow Christ’s teachings and example in all we do.
Holland Home is called by God to be of service to others, and, in our efforts, we will constantly seek God’s guidance.
We will provide services with love, compassion, and excellence, and, through our efforts, our residents and clients will feel love, comfort, and peace of mind.
We will provide a broad and flexible range of services and housing options that are tailored to meet the needs of individuals both within our facilities and in the community.
Managing our resources carefully allows us to fulfill our commitment to Christian benevolence. And, we will always remember that we serve in Christ’s name.
Holland Home was formed in 1892 by Reverend Adrian Kriekard of the Third Reformed Church and a small group of men and women seeking to provide shelter for the elderly members of their congregations. The first Holland Home, located on the corner of Michigan Street and College Avenue, was home to eight people.
As the need grew, so did Holland Home. Fulton Manor opened in 1912 and over subsequent decades, was enlarged several times. By 1922, Holland Home had committed to life care for its residents.
In 1973, construction began on Raybrook Manor, and the Raybrook campus expanded to include Raybrook Estates I in 1987, Raybrook Estates II in 1992, Raybrook Homes in 1998 and Raybrook Estates III in 2005.
Holland Home added a third campus in 1990 with the purchase of Breton Manor (now called Breton Rehabilitation & Living Centre). In 1997, Breton Manor began offering residential hospice care along with rehabilitation and skilled nursing. The campus expanded in 1999 with the construction of duplex, triplex and fourplex homes and the addition of Breton Terrace, a large, congregate living building, in 2002. Breton Ridge, another independent living building, opened on the campus in October of 2008.
Holland Home expanded its services into the community with the establishment of HomeCare of Holland Home in 1987 and the creation of Hospice of Holland Home in 1995. Hospice of Holland Home was renamed Faith Hospice in 2006, and Trillium Woods, the Faith Hospice residence, opened in Byron Center.
Holland Home is now Michigan’s largest non-profit provider of senior services and was the first registered Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) in the state. Holland Home employs over 1,100 people and serves more than 2,500 daily.
|1892||Holland Union Benevolent Association is formed.|
Holland Union Benevolent Association purchases the Barnard Estate on the northwest corner of Bridge Street (now Michigan Street) and College Avenue.
First residents take occupancy at “Het Eerste Huis” – “the Holland Home.”1894Property to the west of the original building is purchased. An addition joins the two structures allowing for a total of 48 residents.1912Fulton Manor opens at 1450 East Fulton Street.1917Fulton Manor is expanded to accommodate 83 residents.1922Holland Home commits to “life care” for its residents.1941The name of “Holland Home” is officially adopted, and the organization is incorporated.1950Holland Home exchanges property with neighboring St. Thomas Church.1951An additional 75 resident rooms and a lounge are completed at Fulton Manor. Holland Home is now home to 253 people.1961Holland Home dedicates an addition to the southeast of Fulton Manor comprised of four floors and a new dining room, storage and equipment rooms and a nursing unit of 74 beds.
Holland Home begins an occupational therapy program.1966A crumbling 54-year old section of Fulton Manor is taken down and is replaced by a new building providing 150 resident rooms, lounges and recreation rooms.1969The first chaplain joins the Holland Home staff.1971Phase IV of the Fulton Manor building project provides 65 resident rooms, a chapel and offices. An elevator is added as well.1973The Holland Home Board of Trustees identifies a site near the intersection of the East Beltline and Burton Street for construction of another building that will become Raybrook Manor.1982Brown Home, across from Fulton Manor, is acquired and becomes an assisted living facility.
Crestview Manor, on 36th Street between US131 and Clyde Park Avenue, is acquired.1984Crestview Manor is sold.1985The Holland Home Foundation is established.
Construction begins on Raybrook Estates I.1987The Volunteer Services department is established and the first director hired.
Construction is completed on Raybrook Estates I adding 75 independent living apartments to the Raybrook campus.
Home Health Care Agency of Holland Home is established. The name is subsequently changed to HomeCare of Holland Home.1990The first Holland Home Foundation Golf Outing is held.
Holland Home purchases the Christian Nursing Center, 44th Street near the intersection with Breton Road, and renames it Breton Manor. Breton Manor offers skilled nursing care, residential hospice care and a residential rehabilitation center.1992A ribbon-cutting ceremony celebrates the opening of Raybrook Estates II which adds 108 apartments, activity areas, exercise room, health center and library to the Raybrook campus.Holland Home celebrates its one hundredth year. Michigan governor, John Engler, signs a “Certificate of Special Tribute” for Holland Home, and Grand Rapids mayor, John H. Logie, declares the week of March 29, 1992 “Holland Home Week.”
Holland Home adopts a new logo featuring a stem and four leaves.
A generous donation by Jay and Lois Mol allows for the construction of the Verblaauw Alzheimer’s Center at Fulton Manor.1993HomeCare of Holland Home expands to include a mental health program.1995Hospice of Holland Home is created.1996Wing E of Raybrook Estates II adds 25 new apartments.1997Residential hospice care is offered at Breton Manor.
Rehab Dimensions is established to offer outpatient services to residents as well as community members.1998Raybrook Homes opens on the Raybrook campus. Triplex and fourplex homes with attached garages offer a new style of independent living.
The Van Andel Pavilion is constructed at Fulton Manor with funds donated by the Van Andel family. The Van Andel Pavilion serves patients in the final stages of Alzheimer’s.
Through a donation from the Mol family, the Lendick Center is constructed at Fulton Manor to accommodate memory care patients in an assisted living setting.1999Rehab Dimensions moves to Breton Manor and is incorporated as a subsidiary of Holland Home.
VanDyke Center is established at Fulton Manor to provide living for memory care patients.
Construction begins on the first of the single, duplex, triplex and fourplexes known as Breton Homes. Work commences also on Breton Terrace, the new congregate living building.2000HomeCare of Holland Home adds a rehabilitation program to its roster of services.
Holland Home corporate offices relocate to their present location at 2100 Raybrook Street.2001Four apartments are added to Raybrook Estates II following the move of the corporate office.2002Brown Manor is sold.
The residential hospice center located within Breton Manor moves to its own facility, the Peter C. and Pat Cook Hospice Center. Breton Manor is renovated allowing for the care of a total of 73 residents.
The 23-bed Grace Center is opened at Fulton Manor to provide living for mid-stage memory care patients.
The first phase of Breton Terrace, comprised of 81 apartment homes and a community center, is completed and residents move in. Completed Breton Homes now number 53. Construction begins on the south wing of Breton Terrace.
Holland Home’s new mission statement is revealed:In fulfilling God’s calling to serve others, we will
•Serve with love and compassion.
•Commit to excellence.
•Follow Christ’s teachings and example in all we do.2003Holland Home partners with Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services in developing and piloting a specialized worship ministry model, Evening Star, for use with memory care patients in a long-term care setting.2004Construction begins on a four story addition to Raybrook Manor providing more space for nursing residents.
Ground is broken for the construction of the north and east wings of Breton Terrace.
Ground is broken for what will become the new hospice residence center, Trillium Woods.2005New Cook Center addition opens on the Raybrook campus.
Five buildings, located across from the Raybrook campus, are purchased and remodeled. They become Raybrook Estates III, adding 40 independent living apartments.
Raybrook Chapel is renovated.
Residents move into the north and east wings of Breton Terrace.2006Hospice of Holland Home becomes Faith Hospice.
The new Faith Hospice residence center, Trillium Woods, is dedicated, providing 20 hospice beds.
The PACE program (Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly), known as Care Resources, opens at Fulton Manor in partnership with HHS Health Options, Metro Health, the Grand Rapids Dominicans, and Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services.
Ground is broken for construction of Breton Ridge, the new congregate living building on the Breton Woods campus.2007Holland Home finalizes strategic alliance with HHS Health Options, a Grand Rapids based non-profit that focuses on linking seniors with services delivered in the community setting.2008A new initiative, The Center for Advanced Symptom Management, is launched. This program will provide palliative care to patients with chronic and life-threatening illnesses.
Holland Home adopts its current logo and launches a new website.
Breton Ridge opens its second wing with 48 additional independent living apartments.